Stained teeth which have lost their natural whiteness can be an unpleasant problem, but with the right oral hygiene and a few lifestyle changes, you can take steps to prevent yellow teeth and ensure the longevity of your smile. Here we'll share our top tips for how to prevent yellow teeth, but don’t forget if you are worried about your teeth to book an appointment to discuss it with your dentist.
What causes yellow teeth?
Unsurprisingly, the teeth we see on TV and in adverts are not 100% natural, and it is highly unusual for teeth to be perfectly white. Although it is normal to have off-white teeth, yellow teeth can interfere with the look of your smile, so it’s important to know what makes teeth yellow. The main reasons for yellow teeth include the following:
- Smoking causes your teeth to become stained and develop a yellow hue.
- Not maintaining good oral hygiene can cause your enamel to become eroded, exposing the yellow layer underneath called dentine.
- Some foods that make your teeth yellow – for example, curries, berries and sugary foods – contain lots of acid, leading to enamel erosion.
- Certain drinks such as fizzy drinks, citrus fruit drinks, tea, and coffee are not only naturally staining, but also contain sugar and acid, which can lead to enamel erosion and teeth yellowing.
- Everyday wear results in your enamel gradually wearing down over time. Your enamel can’t restore itself; therefore, your teeth become yellower with time.
Key steps for getting rid of yellow teeth
There are a few ways that you can take steps to return your teeth to their natural whiteness:
- Unless otherwise directed by a health professional, be sure to book a visit to your dental hygienist every six months for a scale and polish.
- Keep your teeth clean by brushing at least twice a day and flossing too.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Use products that protect and strengthen your enamel, for example, Regenerate Enamel Science range.
Oral care regime to prevent yellow teeth
- Start and end your day with Regenerate’s Advanced Toothpaste to help to reverse enamel erosion by increasing your teeth’s natural micro hardness and enamel mineral1 content.
- Follow up your tooth brushing using Regenerate’s Advanced Foaming Mouthwash , powered by FOAM Technology. It’s fresh and alcohol-free and is proven to restore enamel mineral2 and reverse enamel erosion caused by daily acid attacks.
- Once a month alongside the use of Regenerate’s other products, you should add Advanced Enamel Serum for three consecutive days. It can boost the effects of your Regenerate Advanced Toothpaste by up to 43%.3
Now you have everything you need to know about what causes your teeth to turn yellow. These top tips should help you to maintain good oral hygiene and make the right diet choices to prevent yellow teeth.
²Acts on early invisible stages of enamel erosion. Restores enamel mineral content and micro-hardness.
³As demonstrated in a 3-day in vitro test measuring enamel micro hardness: Combined use of Advanced toothpaste and Advanced serum vs. Advanced toothpaste only.
The advice in this article does not constitute medical advice, it is solely available for information purposes. We recommend that you consult your dentist If you are experiencing any gum or tooth problems.