There are lots of different ways to whiten your teeth, with several professional and at-home treatments to choose from. However, the many people are wary of the chemicals involved in teeth whitening procedures and so choose natural teeth whitening methods. This article will explore some of the best ways to whiten teeth naturally and explain how to keep them white.
4 ways to whiten teeth naturally and keep teeth white
- Brushing and flossing
The first and easiest step when it comes to natural teeth whitening is maintaining good oral hygiene. Best-practice actions for white teeth include:
- Regular brushing: Brushing your teeth at least twice a day is a basic habit but its importance when it comes to teeth whitening should not be downplayed. Brushing your teeth helps to remove lingering food and buff away stains from the surface of your teeth. You should aim to brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes, using a soft-bristled brush to brush in circular motions.
- Flossing: While regular brushing can help get rid of food and drink that may be lingering, flossing will help to keep those hard-to-reach places clean and free from plaque build-up which can cause teeth to look dull¹.
- Using mouthwash: Finishing your oral care routine with an effective mouthwash is a great way to help make sure that your mouth is free from lingering foods and any harmful bacteria.
- Eating the right foods²
Did you know that foods that are high in fibre can really help keep your teeth and gums clean by restoring minerals to those parts of your teeth that have lost them from bacterial acids.
When it comes to looking for safe teeth whitening, why not try incorporating apples or carrots into your diet, as they act as natural stain removers. They help to increase saliva production, which serves as the mouth's self-cleaning agent. Their crunchy texture also helps scrub teeth clean and as an added benefit, even helps kill bad breath.
Ripe strawberries are another great option, as they contain citric acid, which can whiten teeth naturally if applied directly to your teeth. Cheese, milk, plain yogurt, and other dairy products are one of the best ways to whiten teeth, as well as making them stronger. Apple, celery and carrots are also useful as they act as natural stain removers by increasing saliva production, which serves as the mouth's self-cleaning agent. Their crunchy texture also helps scrub teeth clean and as an added benefit, even helps kill bad breath.
- Prevent stains before they happen
A great way to keep and maintain a white smile is to prevent stains from happening in the first place. Ways to do this include:
- Drinking water after eating and drinking: Drinking water after consuming food and drink helps to wash away any lingering items of food or staining drinks.
- Drink staining beverages through a straw: Drinking through a straw helps to minimise the amount of contact the staining beverage has with your teeth.
- Quit smoking: Quitting smoking or the use of other tobacco products helps to reduce and prevent nicotine stains on teeth as well as having the potential to improve your overall oral health³. For more information, read this article on smoking stains and removing them.
- Reduce your consumption of staining foods and drinks: Reducing the number of staining items you consume can also help to maintain the natural whiteness of your teeth. If you can’t go without your morning coffee or tea, try adding some milk as this may help reduce its staining abilities⁴.
For more information about foods and drinks that stain your teeth, read this article.
- Choosing products that help support your enamel
Your enamel is the white, outer layer of your teeth. When enamel wears away or is damaged, the yellow dentin beneath can be revealed causing teeth to lose their white colour. Choosing products that help support strong and healthy enamel is a great way to naturally whiten teeth. REGENERATE Enamel Science™ toothpaste is powered by exclusive and clinically proven NR-5™ technology. NR-5™ is able to regenerate tooth enamel mineral*, reversing the early enamel erosion process, keeping teeth healthy and strong.
How to keep your teeth white after using natural teeth whitening methods
Now that your teeth are sparkling white, you’ll want to keep them looking that way. This article provides an in-depth guide for keeping teeth white, but here are a few tips:
- Avoid staining foods and drinks such as tea, coffee, and wine.
- Drink through a straw to help prevent staining substances touching your teeth.
- Brush twice a day: Brushing your teeth at least twice a day will help ensure that the surface of your teeth remain clean. Remember to wait at least 30 minutes after eating or drinking to brush your teeth, as this can help to minimise the risk of enamel erosion.
- Use mouthwash after brushing: Rinsing your mouth with an effective mouthwash for just 30 seconds will help remove any lingering bacteria and food⁵, helping to keep your teeth white.
When it comes to natural teeth whitening methods, this article has covered some safe options for you to try. If you are looking to whiten your teeth, it is always best to speak to your dentist who will be able to make personalised recommendations based on your individual oral care needs.
*Acts on early invisible stages of enamel erosion by restoring its mineral content and micro hardness with regular use. Clinically proven.
The advice in this article does not constitute medical advice; it is solely available for information purposes. We recommend that you consult your dentist If you are experiencing any dental problems.